NEW ORLEANS (AP) – Texas Sen. Ted Cruz has won the latest 2016 presidential straw poll at a conservative summit in Louisiana.
Cruz took 30 percent of the vote at the Republican Leadership Conference in New Orleans. He edged out conservative speaker and author Ben Carson.
Organizers at the annual conference say about a third out of 1,500 delegates voted in the straw poll. Delegates had to pay to register for the conference and vote in the straw poll.
Cruz promised delegates Saturday to continue his uncompromising approach on Capitol Hill.
Carson did not address delegates before the voting.
Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee and Texas Gov. Rick Perry trailed Cruz and Carson in the poll.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Weiner Due In Court For Sentencing In Sexting Scandal
- Langer Wins By 3 Shots At Pebble Beach, 5th Victory Of Year
- No Protests In NASCAR After Warnings From Executives
- Immigrants Touched By Mexico Quake, Try To Help From Afar
- WWII Vet Takes A Knee In Support Of Anthem Protests
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures