Fort Worth Officers Not Indicted For Killing Motorist
FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM/AP) — A North Texas grand jury has declined to indict three officers who shot and killed a 22-year-old man who they wanted to question about an earlier shooting.
It was later determined that Sixto Eduardo Quezada played no role in the earlier incident, but Fort Worth officers stopped his vehicle just north of the Stockyards in February 2013 because it matched one seen leaving the shooting scene.
Tarrant County prosecutors say as officers approached his SUV, Quezada shifted the vehicle into reverse and drove toward one officer. In an emailed statement sent last year, Fort Worth police said, “The driver sped towards officers and, fearing for their safety and believing that an officer had been hit by the car, the remaining officers shot at the vehicle hitting the driver.”
Quezada was shot three times.
The District Attorney’s Office chose not to release the names of officer because none of them were arrested, charged or indicted.
Prosecutor Jack Strickland in a statement Thursday said an officer is justified in using deadly force “when confronted with deadly force.”
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Remembering West Fertilizer Explosion 2 Years Later
- Hurst Woman Murdered In Apparent Domestic Dispute
- Stormy Weather Brings Dark Clouds To ACM Awards Events
- Prayer Service & Candlelight Vigil 2 Years After West Plant Explosion
- Dallas Homeowners File Suit Against Builder Of LBJ Expressway
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures