Vandals Deface Oak Lawn Monument
Get Breaking News First
DALLAS, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) – A neighborhood group in Dallas says it will have to sandblast a well-known memorial after someone vandalized it.
Someone painted “666” on the Legacy of Love Statue.
“To have someone tag it with the Christian symbol of the devil is upsetting to me.” said a woman at the memorial.
The memorial at the corner of Oak Lawn and Cedar Springs serves as a gathering spot for Dallas’ gay community. Residents nearby are furious.
The statue was built in 2006 as a memorial to those who have died from AIDS.
Dallas Police say they are investigating this incident, as well as several other acts of vandalism in the Oak Lawn area, as a hate crime.
Maj. Max Geron (@MaxDPD) June 30, 2014
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Gov. Perry Takes Down ‘Unauthorized’ Tweet
- Police Agencies Patrolling Lakes During Labor Day Weekend
- Body Of Missing Dallas Girl Found In Vacant Apartment
- Cowboys Keep RB Williams After He Clears Waivers
- Mexico Police: Accidental Blast Kills 1 On Border
PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures