LUBBOCK, Texas (AP) — Texas Tech has reinstated a highly regarded defensive back from Miami who last month broke the jaw of a Lady Raiders basketball player.
Tech athletics spokesman Blayne Beal said Wednesday that Nigel Bethel II will return to the team, but will sit out the first three games of his first season.
Berthel punched Amber Battle her during a June 28 pickup basketball game at the campus recreation center and was dismissed from the football program the next day. However, Lubbock County grand jurors declined to indict Bethel on an aggravated assault charge Tuesday.
Coach Kliff Kingsbury said as more information on the incident came to light, the decision to dismiss Bethel was revisited.
Battle, who has acknowledged shoving Bethel first, will sit out games in November.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Great Backyard Bird Count Is Underway
- NBA Western Conference 2016 All-Star Roster Breakdown
- Missing Texas Woman Found Slain, Body In Freezer
- Top Republicans Stay Quiet On Release Of Their Tax Returns
- Worker Injured After Falling Nearly 60 Feet From Hotel Construction Site
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures