ALLEN (CBSDFW.COM)- Summer heat can cause outside equipment very hot and putting children at risk while playing.
Parents know that heat can be dangerous at the playground.
Old metal slides have been replaced with modern plastic slides but they are still no match for the sun.
The most of the popular playground equipment gets really hot and can be brutal for North Texas kids while playing.
Mother Amanda Blankenship said she checks out outside playground equipment herself.
“I’m the one going down the slide most of the time. He slides with me,” said Blankenship
Using an infrared thermometer to test slides difference are noted.
Slides that are placed in shaded measured at 89 degrees but those that are in direct sunlight measured at 112 degrees.
Infants who can’t yet turn are most at risk for burns.
Doctor Roger Khetan said the hotter the surface and the longer a child is in contact with it, the more likely they are to burn.
Most cases Khetan said are minor. But he’s seen extreme cases also.
“It’s a blistering burn with some of the skin coming off.”
The most obvious risk are the metal equipment but it play ground that is the most hot.
The ground measured at 165 degrees.
Doctors advise parents to be careful and be aware of the risk.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Facade Collapses Next To Parking Garage In Uptown
- Consumer Justice Results Round-Up: $1300 In Refunds In 2 Weeks
- Fort Worth Police Looking For Driver Who Killed Firefighter
- Vote Leaves Browser “The Library Cat” Homeless; Friends Claw For A Recall
- Homeowners Handing Over Control Of Thermostat To Lower Bills
- Smartphone Apps Claim To Repel Mosquitoes
- Collin County Commissioner Warns Of Illegal Immigrant Tsunami
- Dallas County Commissioner Arrested, Pleads Not Guilty To Federal Charges
- Suspected Illegal Immigrant Arrested For Taking Lewd Pictures Of Women
- Teens Rescued In Denton County Human Trafficking Sting