DALLAS (CBS 11 NEWS) – As a forensic accountant, Larry Kanter follows the money. He watches where it comes from and where it goes.
“The work I do most people would find very tedious and very boring,” he said smiling.
From an accounting standpoint, Kanter says he’s impressed with the 107-page public corruption indictment against Dallas County Commissioner John Wiley Price, his chief of staff Dapheny Fain, his political consultant Kathy Nealy, and businessman Christian Campbell.
“The amount of work that went into this is just staggering,” Kanter said of the lengthy document.
All of the individuals named in the indictment pleaded not guilty.
To put the case together, Kanter says the FBI and IRS had to look up multiple phone and email accounts, plus review multiple fax machine records as well.
According to Kanter, they had to go through years of records involving meetings and county contracts. Prosecutors say during that time, Nealy, Fain, and Campbell gave Price about $1 million after he fixed and secured county contracts for Nealy’s business clients.
“It looks very solid,” Kanter said. “They put it all together and they mapped it and that’s very, very difficult.”
Kanter has testified at nearly two-dozen trials and began working on cases involving the savings & loans crisis in the 1980’s. He believes one challenge will be explaining the Price case to jurors.
“I wasn’t on the stand when they fell asleep, but I’ve seen them fall asleep in the jury box. Just because the entire set of facts is so tedious, and very difficult, and detailed. They don’t want to follow it.”
Kanter says federal prosecutors will need to engage jurors and show them how all of the evidence will prove their case.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Exclusive Interview: Tony Romo Talks Surgery, Downplays Injury
- Texan With Character: Bob Tallman
- Timelapse Video: Behind The Scenes Of “Tested By A Tornado”
- Judge Grants Johnny Manziel’s Ex-Girlfriend Protective Order
- Dallas Police Investigating Domestic Violence Assault Complaint Against Johnny Manziel
- Smartphone Apps Claim To Repel Mosquitoes
- Collin County Commissioner Warns Of Illegal Immigrant Tsunami
- Dallas County Commissioner Arrested, Pleads Not Guilty To Federal Charges
- Suspected Illegal Immigrant Arrested For Taking Lewd Pictures Of Women
- Teens Rescued In Denton County Human Trafficking Sting