Amazon Offers 3-D Printed Products
NEW YORK (AP) - Amazon said Monday that it has started selling 3-D printed customizable objects like iPhone cases, jewelry and figurines on the online retailer’s website.
Amazon’s 3-D product store will offer more than 200 print on-demand products that can be customized by material, size, styles and color variations. The moves come as organizations ranging from libraries to retailers adopt quickly evolving 3-D printing technology. Recently eBay launched its own 3-D printing store via an iPhone app called eBay Exact.
“The introduction of our 3-D printed products store suggests the beginnings of a shift in online retail — that manufacturing can be more nimble to provide an immersive customer experience,” said Petra Schindler-Carter, director for Amazon Marketplace sales.
Amazon is offering design templates for items and a “personalization widget” to help shoppers customize their items.
For about $40, shoppers can make cufflinks, bobblehead figurines and wine glass holders. For $100, customers can make jewelry such as earrings and necklaces.
Amazon shares fell $3.41, or 1.1 percent, to $320.60 in late afternoon trading. Its shares are up 8 percent over the past three months.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Woman Nearly Drowns In Backyard Pool
- Patrol Car Struck By Hit And Run Driver
- Long-Awaited Arrest In Dallas Park Beating Brings Relief
- It’s not how you start: Rangers focused on every part of marathon season
- Attempted Robber Shot In Dallas
- Smartphone Apps Claim To Repel Mosquitoes
- Collin County Commissioner Warns Of Illegal Immigrant Tsunami
- Dallas County Commissioner Arrested, Pleads Not Guilty To Federal Charges
- Suspected Illegal Immigrant Arrested For Taking Lewd Pictures Of Women
- Teens Rescued In Denton County Human Trafficking Sting