Feds Investigate Denton ISD For Possible Harassment & Retaliation
DENTON (CBSDFW.COM) – The federal government is investigating Denton Independent School District for possible retaliation and harassment against a student.
“I just don’t understand how people can be so heartless,” said Maddie Green, 16.
It’s a tale of two sisters. One who was bullied and the other who was benched from the sport she loves.
Maddie Green is a softball star, making varsity her freshman year at Denton High School. She plans on playing the sport through college.
“This is all I do. This is my passion,” said Maddie as she showed CBS 11 reporter Andrea Lucia her trophies.
But while Maddie has thrived in school, her 17-year-old sister has suffered at the hands of bullies, according to the sisters.
“I was just getting more and more hurt and nothing would happen,” said Savannah, who eventually contemplated suicide.
The sister’s parents saw threats posted online against their daughter.
“It was bad,” said the teenager.
The family moved late last year to a home in a neighborhood zoned to Gruyer High School.
“We could just never get it solved. Denton High School was not able to solve it,” said the teen’s father, Wayne Green, about their move.
Unfortunately though, the family’s moved caused unexpected problems for Maddie. Her former coach claimed she changed schools for “athletic purposes” and benched her after she played only one or two games.
“Softball — she’s awesome at it, you can’t take away the one thing she loves,” said Savannah.
Her family appealed to the district and The University Interscholastic League but said they wouldn’t consider why they moved on behalf of Savannah.
“We were shocked and stunned by the whole process,” said Green. Thus, he filed a formal complaint with the State Board of Education and the U.S. Department of Education. The federal agency wrote back and confirmed there was an official investigation underway.
“I hope that it works,” said Maddie.
The family is exhausting their last appeal with school district.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- 8 Overrated Free Agents Soon To Be Overpayed
- Seven Unlocked Vehicles Burglarized In Parker County
- Aaron Rodgers, Olivia Munn, A Sword, And A Kendo Stick
- Interim DISD Superintendent Talks About What’s Next
- Oak Cliff Residents Want Wild Horses Caught
- Smartphone Apps Claim To Repel Mosquitoes
- Collin County Commissioner Warns Of Illegal Immigrant Tsunami
- Dallas County Commissioner Arrested, Pleads Not Guilty To Federal Charges
- Suspected Illegal Immigrant Arrested For Taking Lewd Pictures Of Women
- Teens Rescued In Denton County Human Trafficking Sting