HICKORY CREEK (CBSDFW.COM) – Recent sighting of alligators at Lewisville Lake has the Texas Game Warden advising people keep their distance.
Two alligators were reportedly spotted back in the coves near the Point Vista Park in Hickory Creek.
”It wouldn’t be uncommon for them to be around there,” said Texas Game Warden Logan Griffin.
Once on the verge of extinction, in 1973 Texas classified the alligator as endangered. Since then the American alligator has made a comeback.
Griffin said that’s why people could be seeing more now and in new locations.
The game warden said the reptiles will usually try to avoid human contact as long as people don’t feed them.
“It is actually against the law to feed wild alligators and that’s when you start getting into issues,” he said. “In tough times, especially in the summer, if alligators have a hard time finding food, they will come to humans looking for a handout.”
George Kelling has fished Lewisville Lake for more than twenty years and has never seen an alligator.
He said he’s not worried but will keep an eye out for them now especially when his grandchildren and dog is playing near the lake shore.
“Even if they aren’t man-eaters, they may just want to take a nibble,” he said. “And their nibble could probably do a little damage.”
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Iraq Veteran Killed In Colorado Shooting Leaves Behind Children In Texas
- Dangerous Conditions Delay Search For 76-Year-Old Woman Swept Away By Water
- Timbers Tie FC Dallas 2-2 To Advance
- No. 25 SMU Beats Brown 77-69 To Remain Undefeated
- Higgs Helps No. 8 Texas Defeat No. 4 Lady Vols 64-53
- Smartphone Apps Claim To Repel Mosquitoes
- Collin County Commissioner Warns Of Illegal Immigrant Tsunami
- Dallas County Commissioner Arrested, Pleads Not Guilty To Federal Charges
- Suspected Illegal Immigrant Arrested For Taking Lewd Pictures Of Women
- Teens Rescued In Denton County Human Trafficking Sting