FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM/AP) — A bus passenger apparently upset about North Texas traffic delays has been sentenced to 30 years in prison for attacking the driver.
Carlos Fields, whose criminal history includes assault and robbery, was convicted Wednesday of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in the 2013 incident in Fort Worth.
Investigators say Fields, while on a Fort Worth Transportation Authority (The T) bus leaving the main bus terminal downtown, loudly complained about traffic delays and swore at the driver. The disruption became so bad that the driver even pulled over to phone his supervisor and let Fields off of the bus, but the 40-year-old refused to exit.
When the driver stopped again Fields got off but immediately re-boarded with an open knife in his hand. While lunging toward the driver with the knife in one hand, Fields him the worker in the face with his other hand. After the attack Fields again exited the bus and walked away.
Police searched for Fields for two weeks and eventually found him at the main bus terminal where he had just boarded another bus.
It only took 35 minutes for jurors to convict Fields and those same individuals took about two hours to sentence him as an habitual offender. Fields also has prior convictions for criminal mischief, criminal trespass, possession of a prohibited weapon and harassment of a public servant.
Fields must serve half beore he is eligible for parole.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Texas Democrats React To Drama As National Convention Begins
- More Than A Dozen Structures Coming Down At The Stockyards
- North Richland Hills Church Involved In Sexual Misconduct Investigation
- Man Accused Of Sexually Assaulting Children Turns Self In To Police
- Dallas Cowboys Bus Involved In Fatal Crash In Arizona
- Smartphone Apps Claim To Repel Mosquitoes
- Collin County Commissioner Warns Of Illegal Immigrant Tsunami
- Dallas County Commissioner Arrested, Pleads Not Guilty To Federal Charges
- Suspected Illegal Immigrant Arrested For Taking Lewd Pictures Of Women
- Teens Rescued In Denton County Human Trafficking Sting