OXNARD (105.3 THE FAN) — The health of Tony Romo has dominated discussion at Cowboys training camp in Oxnard. And his irregular practice schedule hasn’t helped.
Coming off his second career back surgery in as many offseasons, Romo has missed two of four full-pads practices.
He joined Ben & Skin on 105.3 The Fan Wednesday to discuss his health — and to settle down the media and fans.
“I feel good. I’m practicing today, so if you stick around, I think you’ll enjoy the practice,” said Romo. “Backs are something that are a little bit different than some of the other things that may come up — just in general for normal football players. You don’t really know how everything will react. Even when you’re healthy, you still want to be smart when you’re doing things you have yet to have done for an extended period of time.”
Romo is resigned to the fact that he will be dealing with the back issue for the “rest of his life”, but that doesn’t mean he won’t be healthy when on the field.
“That doesn’t mean I can’t go out and do things 100 percent. It just means you probably couldn’t do it over and over and over again and do it four times a day. At training camp, we’re just trying to be smart.”
One thing is certain: Romo hasn’t been asking to sit out practice. And that’s no surprise, considering the veteran QB’s history of playing through injury.
“The athlete will consistently want to be out there. For me, somebody needs to hold me back. If you left it up to me, it would be very hard for me to ever sit anything out. Knowing that, the training staff has a plan that they’ve come up with. You’ll vary from it every once in a blue moon, if it’s so overwhelmingly one-sided.”
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Rangers Rally After 3-1/2-Hour Rain Delay, Beat Yankees 9-6
- Family, Friends Honor Firefighter Killed In Hit-And-Run
- Wild Weather Does Damage In Dallas
- Good Contractor’s List Kicks Out “Bad Apple”
- Facade Collapses Next To Parking Garage In Uptown
- Smartphone Apps Claim To Repel Mosquitoes
- Collin County Commissioner Warns Of Illegal Immigrant Tsunami
- Dallas County Commissioner Arrested, Pleads Not Guilty To Federal Charges
- Suspected Illegal Immigrant Arrested For Taking Lewd Pictures Of Women
- Teens Rescued In Denton County Human Trafficking Sting