Cedar Hill Officer Says Being Burned Was A Blessing
CEDAR HILL (CBSDFW.COM) – The Cedar Hill police officer, who was set on fire by a suspect, then saved by a Good Samaritan, has reunited with the man who helped rescue her.
Surveillance video from July 9, showed Officer Ann McSwain rolling on the ground, after witnesses say a man set himself on fire and critically burned her.
Police officers and civilians immediately rushed to her aid. As she talked to CBS 11’s Robbie Owens about that day, she couldn’t hold back her tears as she remembered those who ran towards danger to help douse the flames.
“I owe them my life…and I will be forever grateful for what they did,” said an emotional McSwain.
She said she has been overwhelmed by all of the support — from the Cedar Hill community, fellow officers here and around North Texas and even strangers.
While it’s no surprise that Officer McSwain wanted to say thank you to those that helped her, it is shocking that she had no harsh words for the man accused of setting her on fire.
She considers it all a blessing.
“I really believe this is going to turn out to be one of the best things that ever happened to me,” said McSwain.
“There are some people who do bad things…obviously. But, it’s also been a way for God to show me that this guy did a bad thing, but it has been dwarfed by the good…just so much love and so much support.”
“Every day I would think it can’t get any better than today…and then, the next day, something would out do the day before.”
At a luncheon where McSwain was honored by her law enforcement family, she was also finally able to meet one of the Good Samaritans who rushed to help as flames burned 20% of her body.
“She just looked at me, started crying, gave me a hug and said, ‘there’s my guardian angel thank you-I’m glad you’re here.’ Of course, I looked at her and started tearing up,” said Spencer Stroud.
McSwain said she is ready and eager to get back to work. But doctors have not yet cleared her to return to duty.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Cedar Hill PD Does Spot On Mathew McConaughey Parody
- Families With Special Military Bond Don’t Let Icy Roads Cancel Event
- Fort Worth ISD’s Only Superintendent Pick Withdraws Nomination
- Cowboys To Use Franchise Tag On Dez Bryant
- Body Discovered At Lake Ray Hubbard During Missing Person Search
- Smartphone Apps Claim To Repel Mosquitoes
- Collin County Commissioner Warns Of Illegal Immigrant Tsunami
- Dallas County Commissioner Arrested, Pleads Not Guilty To Federal Charges
- Suspected Illegal Immigrant Arrested For Taking Lewd Pictures Of Women
- Teens Rescued In Denton County Human Trafficking Sting