FWISD Reports Nearly $40 Million Overpayment From State
FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – Fort Worth Independent School District has received nearly $40 million more in state funding than it was entitled to and has self reported the error to the Texas Education Agency.
FWISD determined in an independent investigation that a software mistake caused incorrect data to be sent to the TEA starting with the 2010-2011 school year and continuing through the 2013-2014 school year.
Over those four school years, the incorrect data resulted in the state making overpayments to the district totaling $37-$39 million.
Interim Superintendent Dr. Patricia Linares was notified of the error on July 23 and immediately started to take steps to return the money, according to the district.
The FWISD Board of Education learned about the overpayments on July 30.
“Not only is this situation disappointing but it is completely unacceptable,” said Board of Education President Norman Robbins. “But we are very appreciative of the staff for finding this error this month and ensuring corrections are made to next year’s budget. We have charged the interim superintendent with showing us how such issues will be prevented in the future.”
FWISD will return the money to the TEA from the district’s reserve fund, which will leave a balance of about $102 million.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- State Fair of Texas Announces Winners of the 2015 Big Tex Choice Awards
- Police Investigate Motive In Ambush Of Houston Area Deputy
- Two Apartment Residents Robbed, One Shot Sunday Morning
- Man Shot During Armed Robbery At Apartment Complex
- Turner Field US Flag At Half-Staff After Fan Dies In Fall
- Smartphone Apps Claim To Repel Mosquitoes
- Collin County Commissioner Warns Of Illegal Immigrant Tsunami
- Dallas County Commissioner Arrested, Pleads Not Guilty To Federal Charges
- Suspected Illegal Immigrant Arrested For Taking Lewd Pictures Of Women
- Teens Rescued In Denton County Human Trafficking Sting