Fort Worth Church “Rejoices” Dr. Brantly’s US Arrival
FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – When Dr. Kent Brantly was diagnosed with Ebola, his Fort Worth church, Southside Church of Christ, put three words on its marquee – “Pray For Kent.”
Church elder Kent Smith said he believes it’s working.
On Saturday, Smith said he was glued to the television watching the ambulance with Brantly inside pull up to an Atlanta hospital.
“I turned to my wife and I said wouldn’t it be great if he gave a thumbs-up or something,” he said.
But instead of being wheeled out on a gurney as Smith expected, Brantly, dressed in a hooded bio-containment suit, came out of the ambulance on his own two feet then walked into the hospital.
“To see him get out and walk was just amazing,” said Smith. “The only thing I can say is praise God. It made me joyful.”
Inside Emory University Hospital, Brantly was able to spend about 45 minutes with his wife.
In a statement, she said it was a relief to welcome him home, thanking God for giving him the strength to walk.
She also asked for continual prayers for her husband, Nancy Writbol (the other American with Ebola), and the people of Liberia.
Smith said he knows not everyone will believe him, but he said he believes the three words on the Southside Church of Christ’s marquee made a difference.
“I think the message of that sign and what we’ve seen happen shows it’s not superstition – it works.”
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Rep Shares Request For Muslims To Renounce Terrorists On Facebook
- UT Chancellor Writes GOP Leaders To Oppose ‘Campus Carry’
- Man Barricades Himself As Deputies Attempt To Serve Warrant At Mansfield Apt.
- NFL Says Concussions Down 25 Percent
- Abbott Looks To End Perry’s Startups Fund
- Smartphone Apps Claim To Repel Mosquitoes
- Collin County Commissioner Warns Of Illegal Immigrant Tsunami
- Dallas County Commissioner Arrested, Pleads Not Guilty To Federal Charges
- Suspected Illegal Immigrant Arrested For Taking Lewd Pictures Of Women
- Teens Rescued In Denton County Human Trafficking Sting