BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — Top Louisiana State Police officials and the speaker of Louisiana’s House are visiting the Mexican border this week for a security briefing and tour by the Texas Department of Public Safety.
The trip starting Monday will be the second Col. Mike Edmonson has made to the McAllen area to discuss border security issues that affect Louisiana residents.
The state police superintendent says illegal drugs, illegal weapons and immigrants without official permission all affect Louisiana daily.
Top officials from Troop Operations, Criminal Patrol Operations and SWAT/Aviation Operations also are going, as is House Speaker Chuck Kleckley.
Kleckley says that besides being speaker, he represents and lives in southwest Louisiana, a likely entry for any criminals coming from Mexico through Texas to Louisiana.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Shooting At Dallas Police Substation Renews Calls For Added Security
- Friends Remember Late Actor, Fort Worth Native Bill Paxton
- Kurt Busch Steals Monster Victory By Winning Daytona 500
- Rangers Slugger Hamilton Might Need Another Knee Surgery
- North Texans Spin Their Wheels To Raise Money For Cancer Research
- Smartphone Apps Claim To Repel Mosquitoes
- Collin County Commissioner Warns Of Illegal Immigrant Tsunami
- Dallas County Commissioner Arrested, Pleads Not Guilty To Federal Charges
- Suspected Illegal Immigrant Arrested For Taking Lewd Pictures Of Women
- Teens Rescued In Denton County Human Trafficking Sting