Toddler Fires Gun, Cuts His Forehead
FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – Police are investigating after a 4-year-old hurt himself when he fired a gun Tuesday afternoon. Sources told CBS 11 News that he climbed up to the top shelf of his parents’ closet to get the revolver. The recoil caused the weapon to hit him in the head. He suffered a cut to the forehead.
It happened at a home on Destin Drive near Wagley Robertson Road. The toddler was home with his mother and another child when the incident happened.
The boy’s father accompanied him in the ambulance on the way to Cook Children’s Medical Center in Fort Worth.
MedStar told CBS 11 News that the child is in good condition with minor injuries. He didn’t suffer enough trauma to suggest a bullet caused his injury.
Neighbors with kids of their own were relieved there wasn’t a deadly tragedy next door.
“I’m sure the parents got a good scare and it’s going to make them think twice about where they store their guns. But there’s not much you can do if you keep it in a safe place and a child is curious,” said neighbor Gail Buerkle.
This is a developing story, stay with CBSDFW.COM and CBS 11 News for updates.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- 2 Arrested, Charged With Murder Of Abilene Officer
- DFW Police Come Together In Support Of Governor’s Statewide Call
- Family Of Slain Dentist Speaks About Uptown Murder
- We All Should Embrace the ‘Patriot Way’
- Robbery Suspect Shot Dead By Police Had Pellet Pistol
- Smartphone Apps Claim To Repel Mosquitoes
- McDonald’s Ordered To Pay $27 Million For Teens’ Deaths
- Game Warden Issues Alligator Warning At North Texas Lake
- Teen Defies Odds, Lives Well Past Doctor’s Prognosis
- Teens Rescued In Denton County Human Trafficking Sting