McALLEN (AP) – Democratic gubernatorial candidate Wendy Davis is to speak in McAllen amid a surge in illegal immigration and Gov. Rick Perry’s decision to send the National Guard to the border.
Davis, who’s a state senator from Fort Worth, is to speak Thursday morning at an event hosted by The Monitor newspaper and the McAllen Chamber of Commerce. Her Republican opponent, Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott, was their guest in May.
More than 57,000 unaccompanied immigrant children entered the United States illegally between October and June, most by crossing in the Rio Grande Valley.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Rangers Beat Rays; Clinch Home Field In Playoffs
- Widow Of Veteran Facing Foreclosure From HOA
- Trio Allegedly Robbed Store, Beat Clerk
- Texas Exits Refugee Resettlement Program Over Security Concerns
- Thousands Attend Texas Launch Of New Selena Cosmetics Line