McALLEN (AP) – Democratic gubernatorial candidate Wendy Davis is to speak in McAllen amid a surge in illegal immigration and Gov. Rick Perry’s decision to send the National Guard to the border.
Davis, who’s a state senator from Fort Worth, is to speak Thursday morning at an event hosted by The Monitor newspaper and the McAllen Chamber of Commerce. Her Republican opponent, Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott, was their guest in May.
More than 57,000 unaccompanied immigrant children entered the United States illegally between October and June, most by crossing in the Rio Grande Valley.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Mother Of Uber CEO Travis Kalanick Killed In Boat Accident
- Authorities Investigating Deadly Motorcycle Accident On DNT
- Bautista Hits 3-Run HR, Blue Jays Beat Rangers 3-1
- Some Women-Only Screenings Planned For ‘Wonder Woman’
- With New Law, Lyft, Uber Set To Return To Texas Capital City