ARLINGTON (CBSDFW.COM) – A violent crash involving two motorcycles early Friday left one person dead and another person injured. The incident happened just after midnight in the 1700 block of Mansfield Webb Road, near New York Avenue in Arlington.
According to law enforcement officials, the two motorcycles were traveling westbound along the street at a high rate of speed when one struck the back of a moving jeep. The rider was then thrown about 100 feet from the point of impact and later pronounced dead.
The second rider veered off of the roadway and into a tree. He was taken to JPS Hospital in Fort Worth with serious injuries.
The female driver of the jeep was not injured.
Police estimate that the bikers may have been traveling at speeds reaching up to 100 mph, though it is too early in the investigation to determine if they were racing each other at the time of the crash. Alcohol is also suspected to be a factor in this incident. The names of the victims have not been released.
Mansfield Webb Road was shut down for more than five hours overnight while authorities conducted their investigation and cleaned up the mess. The roadway has since been opened back up to traffic.
- Government Shuts Down After Senate Fails To Reach A Deal
- Dallas Animal Services Cracking Down On Irresponsible Dog Owners
- Dallas Officials Seek Changes To Bike-Sharing Operations In City
- Family: Tom Petty Died Of Accidental Drug Overdose
- Jury To Work Saturday To Reach Verdict In Antonio Cochran Trial