FORT WORTH (CBS 11 NEWS) – Last year the Fort Worth Independent School District had 28 schools on the “needs improvement” list. This year there are only 24.
A closer look at the district’s stats reveals there are 10 new schools on the list; most found on the east or southeast side of the city.
Sshaqayla Malone and Ty Watson just graduated high school in May and are preparing to start college. Sshaqayla went to Eastern Hills High School and Ty went to Dunbar High. Both schools are on the “improvement required” list.
“We’re bad. Me personally, [I am] not bad, but the school kids are bad,” Malone admitted. “So, it should reflect on our scores.”
Dunbar High School is a repeat offender, making the list in 2011, 2013, and this year. But Ty believes the blame doesn’t just rest on the school district’s shoulders.
“I think it Dunbar we just need the community to get involved. That would make this a good high school,” Watson said.
– Student Achievement: Provides a snapshot of student performance in all subjects
– Student Progress: Measures year to year progress in reading and math or special groups of students
– Closing The Performance Gaps: Tracks advanced academic achievement; it focuses on economically disadvantaged students and the school’s lowest performing racial or ethnic groups
– Postsecondary: Looks at graduation rates
“It’s a way for us to monitor how our schools are performing and how they are serving our students. Not only that, it’s a way for us to honor the districts and campuses that are really doing well,” Lauren Callahan, TEA Spokesperson, explained.
Fort Worth ISD, as a whole, met state standards. But they know there are 24 schools that need help.
“While they may not have met the standard, we are still seeing improvement in where those children were and where they are today,” Clint Bond, Fort Worth ISD Spokesperson, noted.
The next step for the district is to submit an improvement plan to the state or appeal their ratings.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- KT: Top 60 Players To Watch In NFL Draft
- 30 Players: Athletics Hope Ryon Healy Is For Real
- Ford Recalls Vehicles For Fire Risk & Door Latch Issue
- NFL Fans Can Look Forward To Major Changes
- Sharapova Still Proud As Doping Ban Ends