AUSTIN, Texas (AP) – Republican state Sen. Dan Patrick has agreed to participate in a September debate with his Democratic opponent for lieutenant governor, Leticia Van de Putte.
Patrick’s campaign announced Wednesday that he’ll debate his Senate colleague Sept. 27 for an hour-long event to be broadcast by KLRU-TV in Austin. It will be moderated by Texas Tribune Executive Editor Ross Ramsey.
But Van de Putte released a statement Wednesday calling Patrick a “coward” for agreeing to just one debate out of five she’s proposed. She said a single debate “in front of a bunch of Austin insiders” isn’t enough.
Patrick’s campaign says he participated in numerous debates during the Republican primary and is working to establish a debate schedule in the coming months that doesn’t conflict with ones involving the candidates for governor.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Family, Friends Honor Firefighter Killed In Hit-And-Run
- Wild Weather Does Damage In Dallas
- Good Contractor’s List Kicks Out “Bad Apple”
- Facade Collapses Next To Parking Garage In Uptown
- Consumer Justice Results Round-Up: $1300 In Refunds In 2 Weeks