Red Cross To Open Massive Disaster Supply Center In Arlington
Get Breaking News First
ARLINGTON (CBSDFW.COM) – The American Red Cross is set to open the nation’s largest disaster supplies warehouse in Arlington capable of supporting up to 100,000 Americans.
Mayor Robert Cluck and the Arlington Chamber of Commerce will be on hand Wednesday to officially open the 174,000 square foot “Disaster Field Supply Center”.
The facility will store thousands of cots, blankets, hygiene items, clean-up kits, coolers and cooking supplies needed to serve the masses in the aftermath of a disaster.
“We couldn’t be happier to have this new national warehouse in the center of the Metroplex,” said T.D. Smyers, chief executive officer, American Red Cross North Texas Region. “From this strategic location along a major interstate, Red Cross teams will be able to quickly move supplies whenever and wherever they’re needed across America.”
The Arlington facility is the fifth such supply center in the country. Others are located in Pennsylvania, Georgia, Missouri, and Nevada.
The center will also host blood drives, CPR and First Aid courses, and serve as the home base for a new “Disaster Action Team” that will respond to emergencies in Arlington, Mansfield, Kennedale and Grand Prairie.
The facility will be located at 4925 New York Avenue. Tours are available between 9:30 a.m. and noon.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Playoff Pinch Hits: Royals Getting More Value From Payroll Than Giants
- Abbott, Davis Talk Gubernatorial Election
- Nurse Nina Pham Is Ebola Free, Headed Home From Hospital
- Two Injured In Wilmer Shooting
- 5 NFL Week 8 JB Locks Against The Spread
- Smartphone Apps Claim To Repel Mosquitoes
- McDonald’s Ordered To Pay $27 Million For Teens’ Deaths
- Game Warden Issues Alligator Warning At North Texas Lake
- Teen Defies Odds, Lives Well Past Doctor’s Prognosis
- Teens Rescued In Denton County Human Trafficking Sting