ELLIS COUNTY (CBSDFW.COM) — A Red Oak resident has been sentenced to 8 years in prison for ramming his wife’s car with his truck and running her off the road.
Sonny Tyrone Thompson, 61, was charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon following a domestic incident last July.
Following an argument with his wife, Thompson attempted to prevent his wife from leaving their residence. When she was able to escape, Thompson chased her in his truck.
Witnesses report seeing Thompson ramming his wife’s car, eventually forcing her off the roadway, where her car flipped several times.
Prosecutors also revealed evidence of a previous aggravated assault charge Thompson committed against his wife in New Jersey. He was on probation at the time of the incident last July.
“Once again the citizens of Ellis County have sentenced a perpetrator of domestic violence to prison,” said County & District Attorney Patrick Wilson. “Domestic violence is a crime that my office takes seriously. I am grateful for the community’s support in our efforts.”
The jury could have sentenced Thompson to the maximum punishment of 20 years.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Grieving Mother Heartbroken Again: The Statewide Search For A Lost Locket
- North Texas College Students, Universities Prepare For Campus Carry
- Texas Attorney General Sues Austin Over City Hall Gun Ban
- Bob Schieffer: ‘A Lot Of People Simply Don’t Trust’ Clinton
- Welcome To Texas: Hand Collection At Baylor Medical Center