MESQUITE (CBSDFW.COM) – A big rig crashed and caught on fire early Monday morning in Mesquite, forcing officials to close Interstate-20 for several hours. The incident happened at around 2:30 a.m. in the westbound lanes of the highway, near Lumley Road, close to the Trinity River bridge.
According to emergency officials, the driver of the 18-wheeler lost control of the vehicle and hit a part of the bridge. That crash caused the big rig to catch on fire. The driver is believed to have received minor injuries.
The crash did result in a fuel spill along the roadway. Crews had to clean that up, and figure out how to deal with the mangled remains of the truck.
Police and fire officials responded to the scene, and the Texas Department of Transportation shut down both directions of the interstate. While the eastbound lanes were opened back up to traffic before the morning rush hour, the westbound lanes remained closed until noon. Everything is back to normal now.
- Keidel: Jose Reyes, The New York Mets And The Sad Business Of Baseball
- Cowboys’ Dez Takes To The Basketball Court
- AMBER ALERT: DPD Investigating Kidnapping Of 10-Year-Old Boy
- Dog Stolen In Burglary Reunited With Owners
- This Week In Golf: Navy Vet Billy Hurley III Wins Quicken Loans National