Abbott Backs Out Of Televised Debate With Davis
Get Breaking News First
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - Republican Greg Abbott has backed out of a statewide televised debate in the Texas governor’s race with Democrat Wendy Davis.
Abbott spokesman Matt Hirsch said Friday the campaign canceled the Sept. 30 debate because of the roundtable format. Hirsch said that wouldn’t have allowed for a “thoughtful” discussion of issues.
Davis spokesman Zac Petkanas called the cancellation an insult to Texas voters.
That leaves Sept. 19 in McAllen as the only remaining scheduled debate between Abbott and Davis. Hirsch said the campaign is now working to schedule another one.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Interim Rangers’ Manager Won’t Be Staying
- Steelers Rally Past Stunned Texans, 30-23
- Mavs Top The Grizzlies, 108-103
- Iconic Fashion Designer Oscar de la Renta Dead At 82
- Ebola Patient Released From Atlanta Hospital