NEW YORK (AP) – Tomas Berdych schooled Dominic Thiem in straight sets in the youngster’s debut in the Grand Slam round of 16.
The sixth-seeded Czech won 6-1, 6-2, 6-4 in just 98 minutes at the U.S. Open on Tuesday, a day before Thiem’s 21st birthday. The 45th-ranked Austrian was the only unseeded man among the final 16.
Thiem had upset 11th-seeded Ernests Gulbis and No. 19 Feliciano Lopez in just his fourth Grand Slam tournament. But he was overwhelmed by Berdych’s efficiency.
Thiem had 35 unforced errors and failed to convert all seven of his break points.
Berdych was 5 of 9. He faces 14th-seeded Marin Cilic in the quarterfinals.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Judge Reinhold Arrested At Dallas Love Field
- Rangers 3B Coach Tony Beasley Declared Free Of Cancer
- Foundation Helping Teen Depression Honors Grace And Brian Loncar
- Briles Sues Baylor Officials For Libel And Conspiracy
- Viral Video: Man Hops Security Fence At San Francisco Airport