NEW YORK (AP) – Tomas Berdych schooled Dominic Thiem in straight sets in the youngster’s debut in the Grand Slam round of 16.
The sixth-seeded Czech won 6-1, 6-2, 6-4 in just 98 minutes at the U.S. Open on Tuesday, a day before Thiem’s 21st birthday. The 45th-ranked Austrian was the only unseeded man among the final 16.
Thiem had upset 11th-seeded Ernests Gulbis and No. 19 Feliciano Lopez in just his fourth Grand Slam tournament. But he was overwhelmed by Berdych’s efficiency.
Thiem had 35 unforced errors and failed to convert all seven of his break points.
Berdych was 5 of 9. He faces 14th-seeded Marin Cilic in the quarterfinals.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Top NFL Merchandise Sales? It’s All About QBs And Cowboys
- Trump Campaign Downplays Clinton’s Cash Advantage
- Exxon Mobil Tops 3Q Profit Forecasts, Earns $2.65B
- Amazon Courting Holiday Food Shoppers
- Texas Metro Areas To See Health Premium Spikes