WACO, Texas (AP) – An ex-judge judge already on probation in a mileage reimbursement scam must serve nine months in federal prison for stealing a dead Texan’s Social Security benefits.
Jean Laster Boone was sentenced Wednesday in Waco.
Boone in September pleaded guilty to theft of government property. Boone, who in October 2013 resigned as a McLennan County justice of the peace, was also fined $5,000.
Robert Martin Davis died in 2010. Boone, who was a longtime friend, had power of attorney for him and access to his bank account.
The Social Security Administration continued to deposit his benefits until October 2013. Boone earlier this year repaid about $16,000 in embezzled funds.
Boone last December received three years of probation after pleading guilty to record tampering over falsifying county mileage documents for maximum reimbursement.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Texas Governor Meets With Santa Fe Shooting Survivors
- Video Released Of Cowboys’ Terrance Williams’ Arrest
- Extra Security When Students Return To Santa Fe High
- Democrat Valdez Owes $12K In Overdue Property Taxes
- Grand Prairie ISD Expected To Release Investigation Findings