UPDATED | September 8, 2016 3:30 PM
FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – Silence falls on Bass Hall. The Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra Association (FWSOA) has cancelled this weekend’s performances due to the strike called by its musicians.
“We regret having to cancel these concerts because of the musicians’ decision to strike,” said Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra Association President and CEO Amy Adkins. “Frankly we are baffled by their decision since the union’s own bargaining team agreed to a tentative contract last week during labor negotiations overseen by an independent federal mediator.”
The strike officially began at 12:30 p.m. after the second rehearsal for the 2016-17 season. It comes after union members rejected a deal brokered last week, with the help of a mediator.
The musician’s union says that the symphony management offered its “last, best and final” offer Wednesday, which was identical to the deal that members rejected over the weekend.
The FWSOA says it has bargained in good faith for more than 15 months and conceded to more than 30 contract changes that the Union requested. The Union suddenly and dramatically changed its bargaining position, demanding increases that the FWSOA cannot afford.
“The FWSO did not want a strike but we have an obligation to operate the orchestra in a sound financial manner and cannot let the Union force us into poor financial decisions,” said Adkins. “This strike benefits no one, and we feel badly for our patrons and ticketholders who have loyally sponsored the Orchestra with their financial support and attendance.”
The Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra Association will notify ticket holders immediately regarding options for handling unused tickets. Patrons are encouraged to hold onto their tickets and wait for notification before calling the ticket office.
(©2016 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)