DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Millions of Samsung phone users are being urged by the U.S. government to turn off their phones immediately after several reports of the Galaxy Note 7 phones catching fire and exploding surfaced.
On Friday, the Consumer Product Safety Commission posted an alert asking owners of Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phones to power down and stop charging it or using the device.
“Well I don’t like it. I like the phone,” said Lettye Holland-Tubbs, a Dallas resident. “It’s the phone that stays with me all the time. Why am I going to turn it off? How will I know if I get a call?”
The recall comes just three weeks after the Galaxy Note 7’s debut.
In that time, a total of 35 users around the world reported the lithium-ion batteries exploding.
In one instance, a Jeep caught on fire after the owner left his phone inside the vehicle to charge.
“I suppose there’s a chance with any phone that could happen. I think the chances are kind of slim, but better to be safe than sorry,” said Holland-Tubbs.
Even the FAA warned owners of the phone earlier in the week to stop charging it while on board planes.
“It’s what I picked and wanted. Now I have to go find something else until the new phones come in,” said Holland-Tubbs.
Samsung estimates about 1-in-every-42,000 phones has a defective battery. All shipments of the Galaxy Note 7 have since stopped.
(©2016 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)