The NCAA has now joined the NBA and other organizations pulling its official events out of the state of North Carolina due to concern over the state’s House Bill 2. Emphasizing an “inclusive atmosphere for all college athletes, coaches, administrators and fans,” the NCAA announced it would be pulling seven championships from the state, including a site for the 2017 NCAA Tournament.
“Fairness is about more than the opportunity to participate in college sports, or even compete for championships,” said Mark Emmert, NCAA president said in a statement. “We believe in providing a safe and respectful environment at our events and are committed to providing the best experience possible for college athletes, fans and everyone taking part in our championships.”
The NCAA has previously pulled its championships from other states for various reasons, and cites four problematic aspects of North Carolina’s current laws, including HB2.
In a news release Monday, the NCAA says the decision by its board of governors came “because of the cumulative actions taken by the state concerning civil rights protections.”
Along with men’s basketball tournament games set for Greensboro, the NCAA will relocate:
— the Division I women’s soccer championship;
— the Division III men’s and women’s soccer championships;
— the Division I women’s golf regional championships;
— the Division III men’s and women’s tennis championships;
— the Division I women’s lacrosse championship;
— and the Division II baseball championship.
(©2016 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)