Robots Take Over Tedious Chore: Mowing Lawns

Follow CBSDFW.COM: Facebook | Twitter

RICHARDSON (CBS11) – In Richardson, a robot is reporting for its first day on the job.

Dallas lawn care startup, Robin has installed 50 robotic lawnmowers in North Texas, with plans to roll out 50 to 100 more every month.

“We’ve been running a lawn care business for the last 2 years. It’s grown very quickly to 6,000 customers. We see this as an opportunity to create a more reliable experience for our customers,” says Co-Founder and CEO Justin Crandall.

The cutting-edge technology has neighbors doing double takes.

“Robots are cool! People love them,” says Bart Lomont, Co-Founder and VP of Operations.

Convenience is another big draw.

“Mowing the lawn is done with a machine. It’s been done with a machine since the lawn mower was invented. We’re taking the last piece, the human element out of it,” says Lamont, adding the technology frees up crews to work with their hands, and use their skillsets to provide lawn care.

Patrick McGregor is one of Robin’s newest customers. He says he’s willing to embrace the Jetsons-esque technology if it means keeping his lawn looking freshly-cut.

“I’m not quite getting inside the shower getting teeth brushed for me robotically,” he jokes.

“I don’t have to worry about it. It’s going to do the job on its own. That’s huge,” McGregor says.

The machines move in a random pattern like Roomba vacuum cleaners. They mind the wire fence that goes around a property, like the vacuum would navigate around walls.

“When the robot is approaching your flower beds or the street, it knows it’s coming close to the wire, so it won’t run into the street,” Lomont explains.

During its infancy stage, a few of the robots fell victim to thieves. GPS trackers and stickers warning thieves will be prosecuted, have curbed the problem.

Robotic lawn mower technology is hugely popular in Europe, but slow to catch on it America. Crandall says product costs–$1,500 to $4,000–is one reason. Fenced-in backyards have proven to be another barrier. Robin has found a way around that.

“We invented and patented a door that allows the mower to go in between the yards, but also locks to keep your pets inside,” says Crandall.

McGregor says the price point ended up being about the same as what he paid for traditional lawn care service.

Plans start at $99 a month for the mower only. There is an installation fee.

Packages that include work done by humans, like edging and weeding, go up from there.

More from Gilma Avalos
Comments

1. Barley Booth says:

I bought my first robotic lawnmower in 2002 for 500 dollars and it worked fine. All the “improvements” have come at a huge and overpriced cost.

1. Competition and keeping leftist politicians out of the equation will fix that.

2. J.T. Stills says:

How’s that $15 per hour working out for everyone?

Demand more money and you’ll get replaced by a robot.

3. If your job can be done by a robot, it will be. Learn a good trade and stop being poli-sci majors, kiddies!

4. Don’t look now, but they just described a lawn mower as “cutting edge technology.”

5. David Coker says:

Sooner than you think robots will be taking your job too. Then let’s see how fond you all are of robots in the workforce. Not too long after that those that own almost everything won’t even need other humans anymore. Where does that leave the rest of us? What happens to the humans that have been rendered obsolete? It is on the junk pile with the rest of the garbage. It is a Satanic agenda whether you can comprehend it or not. It is not a simple evolution as was the industrial revolution or the birth of the digital age. Artificial intelligence will soon come to the conclusion that humans are no longer necessary and in fact pose a threat to A.I.

6. Mike Oneill says:

The Mexicans will Call this Racism. When Parts of California Banned Leaf Blowers They Called
    it Racism.

7. Looks like the mexillegals can go back home to mexico now as they are no longer “needed.”

8. Ralph Evans says:

One less thing a kid can earn entry level experience from.

9. Jeff Justice says:

There goes Timmy’s summer job.

10. Good thing we didn’t let Hi11ary import the entire population of El Salvador for those “shovel ready jobs”… What would we do with them now, wreck the rest of our nation’s welfare budget?…

11. All true. However, these things come to pass because “WE” are slaves to convenience. We are part of the problem when we should be part of the solution. Hire Humans!

12. Dallas? These guys must not be interested in making a lot of money…unless you have a sprinkler system, you only need to cut your grass 5 times a year in Dallas.

13. darinh says:

Please replace your flash player with an html5 player. Flash will not be enabled in my browser.

14. Bob Suyak says:

I suspect soon as one hits something small, baby, kid, dog, cat, liberal, etc they will be out of business.

15. Robots can replace the illegals.

16. ASIA FOR THE ASIANS, AFRICA FOR THE AFRICANS, WHITE COUNTRIES FOR EVERYBODY!

Everybody says there is this RACE problem. Everybody says this RACE problem will be solved when the third world pours into EVERY white country and ONLY into white countries.

The Netherlands and Belgium are just as crowded as Japan or Taiwan, but nobody says Japan or Taiwan will solve this RACE problem by bringing in millions of third worlders and quote assimilating unquote with them.

Everybody says the final solution to this RACE problem is for EVERY white country and ONLY white countries to “assimilate,” i.e., intermarry, with all those non-whites.

What if I said there was this RACE problem and this RACE problem would be solved only if hundreds of millions of non-blacks were brought into EVERY black country and ONLY into black countries?

How long would it take anyone to realize I’m not talking about a RACE problem. I am talking about the final solution to the BLACK problem?

And how long would it take any sane black man to notice this and what kind of psycho black man wouldn’t object to this?

But if I tell that obvious truth about the ongoing program of genocide against my race, the white race, Liberals and respectable conservatives agree that I am a naziwhowantstokillsixmillionjews.

They say they are anti-racist. What they are is anti-white.

Anti-racist is a code word for anti-white.

17. First they came for my neighbors job and I did not speak out because I was not my neighbor

Then they came for my friends job I did not speak out because I was not my friend.

Then they came for the gardeners job and I did not speak out because I was not a gardener.

Then they came for my job and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Comments are closed.