NEW YORK (AP) – Ford is bringing its Mustang to NASCAR’s top series for the first time.

The American automaker said Tuesday the Mustang will replace the Fusion in the Monster Energy Cup Series beginning next February at Daytona International Speedway. NASCAR team owner Roger Penkse slipped earlier this year, divulging that Ford would have a new body in 2019.

This will be Ford’s fourth Cup model in NASCAR’s modern era (since 1972), following the Thunderbird, the Taurus and the Fusion.

Mustang has competed in the second-tier Xfinity Series since 2011, winning championships in all but one season.

Mustang is still going through initial testing and will be formally submitted to NASCAR for approval this summer. A public unveiling of the finished product will follow.

Mark Rushbrook, global director, Ford Performance Motorsports, says “we’re combining America’s favorite sports car with America’s top stock car racing series.” He adds that the “Mustang is a perfect fit for our racing heritage today and tomorrow.”

(© Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

Drip Pan: CBS Local App
Drip Pan: Weather App
Drip Pan: Only CBS

Watch & Listen LIVE