This is the best time of year to get a good race in, taking advantage of the cooler weather and low humidity. As the temperatures drop in Dallas-Fort Worth, the race schedule picks up. There are so many races from mid-December through the end of January it’d be impossible to list them all. So here are a few of the ones worth lacing up for.
Best Of Home
Guide To Early Winter Races
December 17, 2011 6:00 AM
I Am Superman 5k
Caruth Lake Park
1325 Memorial Dr.
Rockwall, TX 75087
Saturday, December 31, 2011
This race benefits the Rockwall Independent School District. Runners are encouraged to “help save the world!” by lending their support in effort to supplement massive budget cuts with money earned from the race. As one may suspect, Superhero capes (and other costumes) are encouraged. Entry fees start at $20.
New Years Double 5k, Half Marathon, Team Half Marathon and Marathon
Course starts and ends at
701 Angel Parkway
Allen, TX 75013
December 31, 2011 and January 1, 2012
Races start at 8:15, 8:30 and 8:40 a.m.
The is a unique event that allows you to say farewell to 2011 by running a 5k, half marathon, or marathon on New Years Eve, then wake up and do it all over again! Ring in the New Year by completing another race on New Years Day. (Then go home and ice your knees until February.)
If you plan to toast the New Year with a whole bottle of champagne, it’s perfectly fine to just sign up for the New Years Eve race, but competitors who complete one race each day get a nifty double medal. Depending on when you register and what race you register for, entry fees are anywhere from $35- $75. Proceeds benefit the Allen Parks Foundation.
Jiggle Butt Run 5k, Team 5k, and 1 Mile
Maverick Athletic Center (University of Texas at Arlington)
500 W Nedderman Drive
Arlington, TX 76013
January 7, 2012
This 5k race, ladies (and girls) only, encourages participants to “bring your friends, daughters, mothers, and grandmothers and come celebrate your jiggle!” There is also a Wiggle Butt one -mile race for girls 12 and under. This run is open to all levels of fitness, and ChampionChip Timing is available for those looking to closely document their race time. Depending on when you register and if you run in a 5k team or not, registration fees for the 5k range from $18-$25/individual. Wiggle Butt registration is $10. Proceeds benefit Safe Haven Women’s Shelter of Tarrant County.
Snowman Shuffle 10k & 5K
White Rock Lake
8300 East Lawther Drive
Dallas, TX 75334
January 14, 2012
Snow or shine, the Snowman Shuffle goes on. The only year there’s ever actually been snow on the ground for the race, according to race organizers, was the very first year, 1977. Even without snow, though, Dallas area runners will shuffle part of the way around White Rock Lake, starting at Winfrey Point. Registration fees start at $25 for the 5k and $30 for the 10k.
So get your cold weather running gear ready. Winter in North Texas means races galore!
Jill Krause is a blogger, product ambassador and mother to 2 young children. You can find her humorous take on life as a parent at www.BabyRabies.com.
- Athletics vs Rangers – June... Photos From The 2013 Miss USA... "The Amazing Race" Casting... Athletics vs Rangers - June...
- Most Romantic US Honeymoon... Adrienne Bankert On "The Talk" Blue Jays vs Rangers – June... Blue Jays vs Rangers – June...
- Blue Jays vs Rangers – June... Baseball Shots Of The Week –... Brandon Carr Celebrity... Blue Jays vs Rangers - June...
- Indians vs Rangers - June 12,... Indians vs Rangers - June 11,... Slater's IndyCar Ride-Along... Rangers vs Blue Jays – June...
Latest DFW News
- Rangers Rally To Beat The A’s, 9-4
- Suspect Fires At Irving Police, Officers Return Fire
- North Texas Man Getting Second Chance At Life
- The Adventures Of Nigel & Whippie: With Montez Bishara
- Will Animals Take Over?
- Idea For A New Rangers Movie
- Ben & Skin: Other Parts Of The Paper
- Killed Youth Pastor Remembered At Memorial