By Fran Taylor & Stephanie Lucero, CBS 11 News

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – An animal torture case that started off as a Misdemeanor has ended up as a felony charge if the suspect is found guilty.

Testimony started Tuesday in the trial of Alexander Matthew Good.  Good, 27, is charged with killing his girlfriend’s 5-year-old Chihuahua-Jack Russell Terrier mix named Jack in a downtown-area apartment in August.

Alexander Matthew Good

According to the arrest warrant, on August 15, 2011 the dog’s owner, Erica Craycraft, returned home from work to find Good in her apartment and Jack under the bed and barely breathing.  Craycraft took the little dog to an emergency clinic, where he died later that night.

Jack had just undergone knee surgery, and had made a healthy recovery.

The veterinarian at the clinic told Craycraft that Jack’s injuries included multiple rib fractures, a collapsed lung and damage to his diaphragm and that they were caused by trauma that probably occurred just hours before his death.

The arrest warrant also states that Craycraft was concerned about her own safety and flew to New York the next morning.  A few days later, Good sent her an email saying he was sorry for what he did to Jack.

Craycraft reported that she believed Good intentionally kicked Jack several times, causing his death, because he was jealous of the animal.

Good’s attorneys told the court Tuesday Good had tripped and fell while taking the dog for a walk, and that the dog went under the bed as always.

Tuesday’s jury of 7 women and 5 men heard opening statements from both sides before Craycraft took the stand.  She said she received Jack as a graduate school gift when he was 6 weeks old.

She added Good moved in to her apartment in June, and that the dog had started acting strange around him.  She testified that on the night of the 15th she had a meeting and didn’t arrive home until 9 p.m. that evening, when she found Jack with the injuries.  That night she stayed with a friend before traveling to New York.

While in New York she called Good, using Google Voice to record the call.  Good denied any role in Jack’s death, saying  “I feel terrible, I don’t know what to say….I feel as terrible as you.”

Good could serve two years in prison for the injuries if found guilty.

Also Check Out: