FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – Last weekend the chief of staff to Fort Worth Police Chief Jeff Halstead was arrested on driving while intoxicated charges. That event led to a major shakeup at the Fort Worth Police Department today.

During a press conference Tuesday afternoon Chief Halstead made it clear that everyone in the department is responsible for his or her actions. Holding to that rule, Halstead demoted ‪his right hand man, Major Paul Henderson, to the rank of captain.

“To say that I’m disappointed in the arrest and the alleged misconduct is a gross understatement,” Chief Halstead said. “There is not an adjective in the dictionary to express my disappointment and in no way to accurately apologize to our residents and our public other than do what is expected and what is right.”‬

Former Major Henderson had been the head of FWPD Internal Affairs, among a number of other programs in the department. He will now be assigned to the police Support Bureau Community Programs Division.

Henderson has been on paid leave, at a salary rate of $125,736 a year, since his arrest. The demotion will mean a pay cut for the 45-year-old and his new schedule will include weekend work.

Henderson was arrested early Saturday morning in Parker County, near Aledo. A trooper with the Texas Department of Public Safety said he was pulled over for making and unsafe lane change near the Interstate 30/20 split and subsequently arrested on suspicion of driving while intoxicated.

Henderson was off duty when he was arrested. An arrest affidavit obtained by CBSDFW says Henderson made an unsafe lane change, and said he had been texting.  The affidavit said the arresting trooper could smell alcohol.

>>Click Here to read the full affidavit<<

Henderson then admitted to having a few drinks.  The document also says Henderson performed poorly on a field sobriety tests and refused a blood test.

When asked more about the DWI allegations against Henderson Chief Halstead said the investigation had just begun and that he would not be answering any questions about it.

Henderson, who is free on $1,000 bail, will remain on paid leave until December 8 when he begins his new administrative position.‬

Fort Worth PD Deputy Chief Rhonda Robertson will oversee the Henderson investigation that officials say could could take up to 180 days.

Paul Henderson has been with the Fort Worth Police Department since 1993.

Also Check Out: