HOUSTON (AP) — Houston police are trying to determine why a man fatally shot himself while in his wife’s hospital room just hours after she gave birth.
Police spokeswoman Jodi Silva says the husband, whose name hasn’t been released, died Monday at Memorial Hermann Hospital.
A spokesman for Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital, where the shooting happened Sunday afternoon, says police promptly secured the area and people in the vicinity were not in danger.
While the hospital has a no-gun policy, one hospital visitor expressed concern that maybe more should be done to keep the area safe and secure.
Silva says the woman gave birth around 1:30 p.m. Sunday. Police say the husband and wife were in her room hours later when he pulled a gun and shot himself.
The wife wasn’t hurt. Silva had no details on the gender of the baby, who wasn’t in the room during the incident.
Editor’s Note: This story was originally published featuring a photograph of the incorrect hospital building. That image was removed as soon as CBSDFW.COM became aware of the mistake, in order to avoid any possible confusion.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Amber Alert Issued For Kidnapped 8-Year-Old Girl, Salem Sabatka, In Fort Worth
- Cardinals Get 1st Win Over Rangers Since 2011 World Series
- Rangers Reliever Shawn Kelley Has Lumps Removed From Throat
- Body Found In Fountain In Front Of Dallas City Hall
- VIDEO: Tornado Moves Through Kansas Fields, Appears To Hit Storm Chaser’s Vehicle