DOWNTOWN DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – An elevator technician died after he fell 20 feet down an elevator shaft in a Dallas parking garage Friday night. It happened at 8:12 p.m. at 1515 Elm Street near Akard and North Ervay in downtown. The technician, a Latin male, was servicing equipment located in the mechanical room next to the open shaft. Paramedics declared him dead at the scene.
Police say they don’t know what caused him to fall or whether there was foul play involved. But at this time, it appears it was an accident, according to Lieutenant Midge Boyle, spokesperson for the Dallas Police Department.
Dallas homicide detectives and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration are working together on the investigation.
The man’s family was notified of his death.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Dallas Elementary Student Delivers Award-Winning Speech On Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Federal Employees Plan Rally In Dallas; Urges Employee To Apply For Substitute Teacher Position
- TCU Junior Guard Jaylen Fisher Announces He’s Transferring
- Kings Defeat Stars 2-1 To Climb Out Of NHL Basement
- Houston BBQ Restaurant Gives Free Meals To Furloughed Workers
- Woman Forced To Strip And Serve Jail Time For Overdue Ticket
- Veteran Wants Flag Vandals To Take Responsibility For Crime
- Lightning Strikes Man Twice At Rednecks With Paychecks
- Postal Worker Pleads Guilty In $450K Jewelry Theft Case
- Jerry Jones: ‘London Could Be An Expansion
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures