FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – A Tarrant County jury sentenced a 49-year-old ex-convict to 40 years in prison for snatching a woman’s purse outside of an Arlington grocery store.
Michael Wayne Perry, a four time convicted felon, pled guilty to the robbery. Because Perry pled guilty, the trial immediately went into the punishment phase. The robbery took place on October 14, 2012. Prosecutors say Perry approached the victim outside of a Kroger grocery store at the intersection of Pleasant Ridge Road and Green Oaks Boulevard as she was getting into her vehicle.
Perry asked to use the victim’s cell phone because he was having car trouble. As the woman turned away from Perry while seated in her car, he pinned her in her seat and grabbed her purse. Police used a tracking device on the cellphone in the stolen purse to locate Perry at a gas station in Grand Prairie.
Perry must serve 10 years of the sentence before he is eligible for parole.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Thousands Pour Into ‘Texas Live!’ For Cowboys, Rangers Games
- Prescott Solid, Dalton Sluggish As Bengals Top Cowboys 21-13
- 14 Injured After Strong Storm Knocks Over Concert Entrance At WinStar
- Severe Storms, Heavy Rain Tear Through North Texas
- Cowboys’ Martin, Woods Leave Preseason Game With Injuries
PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures