MANSFIELD (CBSDFW.COM) – After more than nine hours, a standoff at a Mansfield apartment complex has ended.

Deputies had gone to the complex to serve a felony search warrant at the residence of Mark Mercer. The 49-year-old reportedly met officials with a gun and then barricaded himself inside. Mercer finally surrendered to authorities and was taken into custody without further incident.

READ MORE: Prices At The Pump Climbing In Texas As Rising Trend Hits Nearly 21-Month High

A SWAT team negotiated with Mercer for hours and even threw two stun grenades into the apartment. No shots were fired. After his surrender police found several weapons inside the residence, near Debbie Lane and Highway 286.

Sources and court records show Mercer was wanted on domestic assault charges.

Mugshot of Mark Mercer. (credit: Tarrant Co. Sheriff's Dept.)

Mugshot of Mark Mercer. (credit: Tarrant Co. Sheriff’s Dept.)

Apartment residents who were home when the incident began, around 10 o’clock this morning, were kept inside for hours and people trying to get home weren’t allowed in until around 7:30 p.m.

Before Mercer’s surrender, concerned mother Deeanna McClard stood outside, trying to check on her 20-year-old daughter, who was at home sick. “She’s in there with my two dogs, by herself,” she said. “It makes me feel a little nervous. But at the same time I know that the guys are here doing their job. So, that is an assurance.”

Mansfield SWAT communicated with Mercer from outside and then breached the apartment and made face-to-face contact. Even then, Mercer refused to come out. Police said there were ‘multiple warrants’ that had been issued for the man.

READ MORE: Canton Resident $1M Richer After Claiming Winning Texas Lottery Scratch Ticket

Since the standoff began early in the day, the Mansfield Independent School District suspended school bus service to the area.

In a statement Mansfield ISD said –

“Due to ongoing police activity near Towne Crossing Boulevard in Mansfield, roads have been shut down for incoming traffic. As a result, the district is suspending school bus service to three apartment complexes this afternoon: Cedar Point, The Landing, and Towne Crossing.
This impacts after-school transportation arrangements for a number of students from Alice Ponder Elementary, Mary Jo Sheppard Elementary, Donna Shepard Intermediate, Jobe Middle, and Legacy High. District officials and campus administrators are working together to notify parents and guardians to make other arrangements for student pick-up this afternoon.”

Tarrant County court records show Mercer was scheduled to be in court on January 20. When he failed to appear deputies went to his apartment to arrest him.

Apparently, law enforcement officials were only steps ahead of bounty hunters. Private investigator Juan Valdez said by not showing up in court Mercer skipped out on a $45,000 bond. “He has Injury to a Child [charges] and Assault [charges] and… family violence with his ex-wife and his kids, and supposedly he just wasn’t going down easy.”

According to Valdez, Mercer has served in the U.S. Army and at one time worked for an international security firm.

MORE NEWS: Disney Closing Dozens Of Stores In The US And Canada This Year

(©2015 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)