By Jeff Paul


Follow CBSDFW.COM: Facebook | Twitter

FRISCO (CBS11) — A family in Frisco believes a bag of firewood they purchased from a local Market Street grocery store is the reason their dog is now dead.

Stacy and Dan Levin believe their Great Dane, Bear, came into contact with a dead rat that they said they found in a bag of firewood they brought home.

“You wake up and your shadow is not there,” Stacy Levin said. “I don’t want to go back to work tomorrow; I’m not ready.”

rat poison dog death

At first, Stacy and Dan could not believe what their veterinarian told them was causing their dog’s health to deteriorate. The vet said Bear showed symptoms of ingesting “rodenticide” or rat poison.

“It’s one of the most helpless feelings in the world,” Dan Levin said.

When the couple went back to Market Street to further examine the pile of wood, they said they found dead rodent after dead rodent decaying under the same pallet of wood.

“God forbid a child touch that wood,” Stacy Levin said. “I feel passionate that maybe there should be a recall.”

Mary Myers, a spokesperson for Market Street, wrote:

“For so many of us at Market Street, pets are family. Our pest control practices, as they relate to guest and food safety, are a constant focus. We are taking this situation very seriously and investigating thoroughly. Our prayers are with Bear’s family.”

Stacy and Dan Levin said they understand there had to be pest control. They said they feel the store needs to learn from this incident and find a less dangerous way to deal with rodents.

“We’re sad that we weren’t by his side, and we don’t want another family to go through this,” Stacy Levin said.

When asked about a recall or changes in policy, calls and emails to Market Street were not returned.

(©2015 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)