Follow CBSDFW.COM: Facebook | Twitter

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – A police officer has been shot in the Red Bird-area of Dallas.

Initially, it was known that police were called out to a Shell gas station in Oak Cliff on an “officer assist” call. The location, near Wheatland and Hampton Roads, was the same one where Dallas Fire Rescue crews were responding to a shooting.

The police officer was near Wilbur Street and Illinois Avenue when he was shot.

At a press conference just before 9:00 a.m. Arlington Police Lieutenant Christopher Cook explained, “After the shooting occurred, they were trying to get him medical aid as quickly as possible and so they came to this location [Shell gas station] until an ambulance could get to the location to transport him to the hospital.”

Reporter J.D. Miles confirmed that the officer shot is a member of the Arlington Police Department. The name of the officer isn’t known, but he was transported to Methodist Dallas Medical Center in serious condition. It isn’t known where on his body he was shot.

The suspect/suspects involved in this incident remain on the run. Dallas police are searching and have a heavy presence on Wilbur Street. Wilbur is a residential street about 12 minutes south of the Shell gas station. There are police blockades in the area and just after 9:00 a.m. Dallas SWAT team members arrived in armored vehicles.

(credit: Jennifer Lindgren/CBS 11 News)

(credit: Jennifer Lindgren/CBS 11 News)

The SWAT team seemed to be focusing on a particular house. There have been a total of four DPD squad cars that have left the area with civilians in back – including at least two men in handcuffs. Officials have only said they have taken several witnesses in for questioning.

Meanwhile, as news came out that the officer’s injuries weren’t life threatening, there were other good indications about his condition.

Minutes after the officers gave the thumbs up APD Police Chief Will Johnson tweeted –

At the morning press conference Lt. Cook gave some brief details about the incident. He said, “Around 6:40 this morning we were notified that one of our officer’s, that participates in a federal task force, was shot in southwest Dallas.”

Arlington officials said they would defer to the federal task force to provide details about their assignment and encounter with the suspect.

Minutes after the press conference a source told CBS 11 News reporter Jack Fink that the injured Arlington officer was working on an ongoing U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement investigation.

(©2015 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)