Follow CBSDFW.COM: Facebook | Twitter
DALLAS (CBS11) – To save big on Black Friday, consumer experts say you need to not only know what to buy but what not to buy as many items can be found at deeper discounts after the popular shopping day.
“There are some amazing deals on Black Friday,” said Ben Glaser with the comparison shopping website, DealNews.com. “But the bottom line is do your research and have a budget.”
Based on research and analysis from DealNews.com, here’s our top five things not to buy on Black Friday.
1. Cell Phones – Just last year smartphones would have been on the top of the list of Black Friday deals, but that will not be the case this year. In the past year, three of the big carrier have shifted away from subsidized phone plans. This is something the industry hasn’t seen before and because of this researchers at DealNews.com are skeptical that phone deals will be as good this year.
2. Gift Cards – You will find some Black Friday sales on gift cards, but according to market research you’ll find better deals and more deals throughout December.
“Every day that month there are incredible amazing deals on gift cards, so that’s really when to make those purchases,” Glaser said.
3. Winter Apparel – Like gift cards, you’ll find many deals on Black Friday when it comes to winter gear. However, if you can wait, clearance sales in January and February will blow away most Black Friday deals.
4. Toys* – Cyber Monday is traditionally the cheapest day to buy toys. However, if you are after one of the year’s hottest toys you could be rolling the dice by waiting.
According to Adobe Marketing, toys are three time more likely to be out of stock on Cyber Monday than on Black Friday.
5. Vacations – According to research done by DealNews.com, vacation package prices on Black Friday are on average not any cheaper than any other time of the year. In fact, if this year is anything like it was last year, the best time to buy a vacation package will be in January.
Glaser said, “If you are planning a vacation it’s worth it to hold off for another month or two to see what deals become available.”
(©2015 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)