AUSTIN (CBSDFW.COM) — The Texas Democratic Executive Committee of the Texas Democratic Party approved six ballot referenda for public vote during the March 1, 2016, Democratic Primary.
The referenda address economic security and prosperity, the criminal justice system, climate, the Voting Rights Act, campus carry and comprehensive immigration reform.
2016 Democratic Party ballot referenda:
- On Economic Security & Prosperity: Should the Texas Legislature and the United States Congress pass an economic security and prosperity plan for families that includes higher incomes by raising the state minimum wage to a livable wage, passing the Paycheck Fairness Act to ensure equal pay for equal work, guaranteeing paid family leave to care for a new child or ill loved one, fully funding public neighborhoods schools, and making a debt-free university and community college education a reality for hardworking students?
- On A Fair Criminal Justice System: Should the Texas Legislature and the United States Congress pass criminal justice reform legislation that ensures equal justice throughout our society without respect to race, socioeconomic status, geographic location, or other factors unrelated to behavior, ensuring as well common sense policies to protect the rights of law enforcement officers, the community, and defendants in the criminal justice system?
- On Climate: Should the Texas Legislature and the United States Congress encourage the transition to renewable, non-polluting energy as a means to slow down climate change and its impact on the planet?
- On The Voting Rights Act: Should the United States Congress pass the new Voting Rights Advancement Act to protect all American voters?
- On Campus Carry: Should the Texas Legislature allow each public institution of higher education (not only private universities) to opt out of the ability to carry guns on campus?
- On Comprehensive Immigration Reform: Should the United States Congress pass a just and fair comprehensive immigration reform solution that includes an earned path to citizenship for law-abiding immigrants and their children, keeps families together, protects DREAMers, and provides workforce solutions for businesses?
(©2015 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)