Follow CBSDFW.COM: Facebook | Twitter

ARLINGTON (CBSDFW.COM) – The Texas Department of State Health Services Rabies Laboratory reported that a bat removed from a northwest Arlington residential neighborhood has tested positive for rabies.


READ MORE: 'Heading Home Today Empty Handed:' Aaron Tschritter Passed Away In Dallas Car Crash, Sister & Wife Say

Animal Service officials observed and removed an ill-acting Hoary bat from the area of 1100 Forrest Drive.

Bats are not frequently active during daylight hours. Those that are seen actively moving around during the daylight hours may be infected with the rabies virus, and should be reported to Animal Services, immediately. Bats and other wildlife should never be approached under any circumstances, day or night. If you see one during the day, make sure people or pets do not get near the animal. It is also important to notify Animal Services if any people, pets, or livestock come into contact with a bat, or any wildlife, even if the animal is no longer in the area.

READ MORE: Dallas Stars Win Fourth Game In A Row, Beating Arizona Coyotes 3-2

Rabies is always fatal, according to health services. People and animals may become infected with the rabies virus if an animal that has the disease bites or scratches them. Anyone who is exposed must take a series of post-exposure injections to prevent them from becoming infected with this fatal disease.

You should also note that in addition to skunks, bats, raccoons, foxes, and coyotes are all high-risk carriers of the disease. Any wild animal that does not show fear of humans or appears sick or sluggish, should not be approached under any circumstances.

MORE NEWS: Dallas Police Ask Public For Help Finding Deadly Hit-And-Run Suspects

Pet owners are reminded that all dogs and cats are required by state law to be vaccinated against rabies by 4 months of age, and on a 1-year or 3-year basis thereafter, depending on the type of vaccine used. We also encourage all owners of livestock to consider vaccinating their animals as recommended by a licensed veterinarian.