CHARLOTTE, N.C. (CBS News/AP) – A third night of protests over a fatal police shooting in Charlotte gave way to quiet streets early Friday after the city’s mayor enacted a curfew and rifle-toting members of the National Guard arrived to guard the city’s business district.READ MORE: Suspect In Custody After Child Found Dead In Street In Dallas Neighborhood
The largely peaceful Thursday night demonstrations called on police to release video that could resolve wildly different accounts of the shooting this week of a black man.
Demonstrators chanted “release the tape” and “we want the tape” while briefly blocking an intersection near Bank of America headquarters and later climbing the steps to the door of the city government center.
Later, several dozen demonstrators climbed onto an interstate highway running through the city but were pushed back by police in riot gear.
Many protesters were seen shaking officers’ hands and talking calmly about social issues, reports CBS Charlotte affiliate WBTV. At one point, a line of protesters and police took turns thanking National Guard troops with handshakes and even hugs.
Around 11:30 p.m., police said no injuries had been reported. But then, that changed when two officers attacked.READ MORE: Police: Missing Tiger In Houston Found Safe, Healthy
So far, authorities have resisted releasing police dashcam and body camera footage of the death of 43-year Keith Lamont Scott earlier this week. His family was shown the footage Thursday and demanded that police release it to the public. The family’s lawyer said he couldn’t tell whether Scott was holding a gun.
(©2016 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)MORE NEWS: DFW Weather: Forecast Has Rain Chances Every Day This Upcoming Week