NORTH TEXAS (CBS11) – If your image of Black Friday is pushing your way through a crowd of aggressive shoppers at 5:00 a.m. to get one of a limited number of dirt cheap television sets, it’s time to rethink the national shopping pastime.READ MORE: DFW Area Rent Rising At Record Pace, Pricing Some Families Out
This year more people will do their Black Friday shopping online than waiting in line. Plus, many retailers start their “Black Friday” sales on Thanksgiving if not sooner.
Natalie Reid, author of the blog Coupon Crazy Mommy, said there are some deals where the product is limited and you’ll need to show-up in person and likely early. However, she adds there are even more deals that can be found online.
“So many sales online start at 12:01 a.m. Thanksgiving Day, so you can get your shopping done before you even put the turkey in the oven and not even worry about getting out into the mess of the stores,” said Reid.
The popular shopping blogger said the key is to know what’s on sale, use shopping apps like Flipp to compare prices and then devise a plan.
To get you started, here are the top five things you should buy on Black Friday:READ MORE: Airline Industry Analysts, Labor Groups React To American Airlines' CEO Doug Parker's Retiring Next Year
1. TVs – There is no one product more associated with Black Friday than the TV set. This year is no different. There are plenty of great deals on lower end televisions for people willing to line up early on Black Friday. At Walmart, the Element 40” Class will be priced at $125. According to CNET.com, this is the lowest priced TV in its size range. At Target a Polaroid 32” TV will be on sale for $85, and at Best Buy a Toshiba “49 4K TV will be sold for $200 while supplies last.
2. Apple products – The popular high-tech products rarely go on sale, but this Black Friday is different. However, because Apple restricts the price for which retailers can sell its products, many of the sales come in the form of gift cards received with a purchase of an Apple device. For example, with the purchase of the iPhone 7, Best Buy is all offering a $250 store gift card. Walmart and Target are also offering $250 gift cards with the purchase of an iPhone 7. Kohl’s is offering the same sort of deal when it comes to the Apple Series 2 Watch. Buy it on Black Friday and you get $105 in Kohl’s cash.
3. Hover boards – This was one of the more popular gifts last year until reports of some hover boards catching on fire which caused the boards to be banned on most commercial flights. Those problems have since been fixed and starting Thanksgiving night, stores like Kohl’s and Walmart will be discounting hover boards by more than $100. To make sure you’re getting a board that has passed all the new recommended safety tests, make sure it has a UL standards logo on the packaging.
4. Beauty products – According to dealnews.com, this is one of the most surprising things you’ll find on sale come Black Friday. Keeping up with the likes of Best Buy and Walmart, Ulta Beauty will open at 6:00 p.m. on Thanksgiving and stay open until 2:00 a.m. Friday. The store is offering 50 percent discounts on gift sets as well as fragrances.
5. Wine – You may not find the deeply discounted deals like you would with some electronics, but there will still be several Black Friday sales on wine. Major online wine retailers, including Amazon, are the among the best places to find discounts.MORE NEWS: Rabid Skunk Found In North Fort Worth
(©2016 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)