UPDATED | May 1, 2017 6:15 PM

Follow CBSDFW.COM: Facebook | Twitter

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – A Dallas Fire-Rescue paramedic and an unidentified civilian were wounded in a shooting in east Dallas, in the 3200 block of Reynolds Street, just south of Interstate-30 near Dolphin Road.

READ MORE: Kaufman County Deputy On Administrative Leave Pending Investigation Into Handling Of Troubled Teen

The body believed to be that of the shooter was later found dead inside a home by a police robot, along with the body of another person according to Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings.

The alleged shooter, according to sources is Derick Lamont Brown, 36.  Sources tell CBS 11 News reporter J.D. Miles he was on an FBI watch list for anti-government involvement.

Derick Lamont Brown – old mug shot

Emergency crews responded to a call around 11:30 Monday morning when they came under fire.

Dallas Fire-Rescue said as paramedics were beginning to treat a shooting victim, a suspect approached and opened fire.

The paramedic who was shot was rushed to Baylor Medical Center. The paramedic, who is stationed at Fire Station 19, remains in critical but stable condition.

The home where the shooting occurred is near the Dallas Fire-Rescue training academy.

Mayor Rawlings said Monday afternoon, “I am pleased to report our DFR paramedic is out of surgery and moved to ICU… He is going to have to undergo extensive medical treatment to get him back up to par.”

Another Dallas resident who was shot is also in ICU.

READ MORE: Big Rig Driver Dies After Losing Control, Striking Bottom Of Bridge Off Tollway In Plano

The Mayor said a police officer also suffered minor injuries.  “He dodged a bullet,” said Rawlings.

DPD Interim Chief David Pughes said suspect used a “high-powered rifle.”

Chief Pughes said an officer took the paramedic to the hospital in his squad car. His move saved the paramedic, according to the chief.

That officer was identified Monday evening as Sgt. Robert Watson.

Sgt. Robert Watson – Dallas Police Department

Dolphin Road was shut down in both directions at I-30 for hours.

Police also closed the area near Haskell and Beeman Avenue in the search for the suspect. The highway reopened shortly after 4:00 p.m. Monday.

Nearby residents are asked to stay in their homes.

(credit: CBSDFW.COM)

Witnesses tell 1080 KRLD they heard about three to four shots after ambulance and fire crews got to the scene.

Lawyer and former police officer Pete Schulte told CBS 11 News the massive police turnout was necessary to try and contain the area and locate the suspect. “Once they get the perimeter set up they can start the detailed search that’s required and I don’t think they’re there yet. I think they’re still trying to figure out where exactly this gunman possibly could be, so they can set up a very synced perimeter and get the search going from house-to-house, from backyard-to-backyard, and from car-to-car to find this person.”

Dallas Police gather at Baylor Medical Center where injured paramedic was taken for surgery following shooting (credit: CBSDFW.COM)

Talking about the shooter and the events of the day Mayor Rawlings said, “In my mind, someone who was not mentally stable dealt a lot of pain this afternoon. And our heroic paramedic stepped in to help a citizen putting their lives on the line.”

MORE NEWS: Gov. Abbott's New Executive Order Limits Local Leaders' Response To COVID-19 In Texas

CBS 11 News reporters Ken Molestina, Robbie Owens, Jeff Paul and Joel Thomas contributed to this report.