UPDATED | May 11, 2017 2:00 PM

Follow CBSDFW.COM: Facebook | Twitter

NORTH TEXAS (CBSDFW.COM) – A high-speed police chase wove off and on streets and highways in North Texas for more than 40 miles this afternoon.

It started just before 12:30 p.m. when a unit with the Fort Worth Marshal’s Division tried to pull over the driver of a yellow Chevrolet Cavalier for a traffic violation. The car was also believed to be stolen.

The driver — the lone person in the car — sped away and wove through several side streets before getting onto Interstate-20 with Fort Worth police now in pursuit.

(credit: CBSDFW.COM)

The chase, which reached speeds over 80 mph, continued east through Arlington and into Dallas where the driver exited the highway and dizzied through more side streets before getting on I-45. By this time Fort Worth police had been joined by the Grand Prairie and Dallas Police Departments, Dallas County Sheriff’s and DPS Troopers.

Police put out road spikes as the car approached Overton Road but the driver avoided them.

Traffic began to thicken on I-45 and the driver exited the interstate at Haskell Avenue. Running red lights and weaving past cars and trucks the driver continued into the Dallas Medical District.

The car nearly got into an accident with a civilian driver as it crossed Woodall Rodgers, going into Uptown Dallas. The driver quickly got onto the Dallas North Tollway and picked up speed.

Police again threw out stop sticks as the car exited off the tollway at Lemmon Avenue and were able to flatten at least two tires on the car.

(credit: CBSDFW.COM)

After speeding for several miles on Lomo Alto Drive the car came to a stop and moments later a woman opened the door and exited the vehicle with her hands up. Obeying orders to keep her hands in the air, she walked backward to police where officers put her in handcuffs. The unidentified woman was then placed in the back of a Fort worth police squad car.

* This is a breaking news story and will be updated as more information becomes available.