DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – A man is dead after stopping along the highway to urinate. The incident happened just before 1:00 a.m. early Friday along Interstate-30 in Dallas, near Ferguson Road. When police arrived at the scene, they found a pair of damaged vehicles in the right lane of the highway.

The driver of a red Mercedes said that she saw a green Honda stopped in the lane, but did not have enough time to slow down and avoid a crash. The red car slammed into the rear end of the green car, causing injuries to several people inside of the two vehicles.

READ MORE: 11-Year-Old Boy Killed Attempting To Cross Freeway In Fort Worth

(credit: CBSDFW.COM)

There had been five people inside of the stopped Honda, but two of them had exited the car before it was struck. Derrick Tate was the vehicle’s driver. The 39-year-old man told police that he stopped along the highway so that he and another passenger could go to the bathroom.

Tate’s vehicle was struck while the two men were urinating.

READ MORE: Madams And Prostitutes Thrived In 'Hell's Half Acre' Brothels In Fort Worth

The other man was killed during the crash, but details surrounding the death are still under investigation. The victim has only been described as a black male. His name and age are still unknown, because he was not carrying identification at the time of the incident.

In addition, two of the passengers who remained inside of the Honda were also injured and taken to Baylor Medical Center at Dallas in serious condition. One man dislocated his leg and hip, while one woman suffered a broken arm. Officials did not say anything about the fifth person in the vehicle.

Derrick Tate (credit: Dallas County Sheriff’s Office)

Law enforcement officials determined that Tate was intoxicated at the time of the incident. He was arrested and charged with two counts of intoxication assault causing serious bodily injury. Authorities explained that Tate’s decision to stop his car in the highway resulted in two passengers being injured.

MORE NEWS: North Texans Facing Very Windy Wednesday, Wind Advisory Likely

Meanwhile, the driver of the Mercedes was not detained by police.