UPDATED: March 20, 2018  9:45 PM

AUSTIN, Texas (CBSDFW.COM/AP) – Austin Police and firefighters responded to a reported explosion in the 9800 block of Brodie Lane in south Austin, at a Goodwill around 7:00 p.m. Tuesday.

The Austin Fire Department initially said it was a reported package explosion.

READ MORE: World Series Notebook: Home Team Finally Wins At Home 

Austin explosion scene Tuesday night (CBS11)

One person was injured and first responders evacuated the building.

Nearby stores, shopping centers and restaurants were also evacuated.

The victim, an employee at the Goodwill, is a man in his 30s.

Police said he is recovering from his injuries and going to be okay.

Austin Police clarified there was no package explosion at the Goodwill.  The item that exploded was not a bomb, rather an incendiary device.

Sources say apparently the incendiary device was in a box that had been left at the donation drop-off site.

Police said the items inside the box contained military-type mementos. Police say this was an old military-type ordinance that went off in the employee’s hand and does not appear to be any kind of copy-cat type of attack.

The device was a flare. It was included in a bunch of donated items. As the goodwill worker sorted through the items he was apparently burned by the flare.

Austin Police discussed the matter during a 9:30 p.m. news conference which it broadcast on Twitter.

Austin Police said in a tweet at 8:05 p.m., “At this time, we have no reason to believe this incident is related to previous package bombs.”

The ATF tweeted the same information.

Goodwill tweeted about the incident as well Tuesday night and announcing the store is closed for the time being.

This is the sixth explosion in the city of Austin since the bombings started a few weeks ago.

Gary Davis, president and CEO of Goodwill Texas, stood outside a police barrier huddling with other Goodwill employees. He said the device was contained in a bag and detonated when a worker moved it.

“We put all the donations we get in a big cardboard box. He pulled something out in a bag, completely normal, and the device went off,” Davis said. “In this town, if an incendiary device goes off, everybody just scatters and panics. We’re all on edge.”

Even before the report of the Goodwill blast, it had already been a busy Tuesday for authorities.

READ MORE: No. 16 Baylor At Home Could Knock Texas Out Of Big 12 Race

Before dawn Tuesday, a bomb inside a package exploded around 1 a.m. as it passed along a conveyer belt at a FedEx shipping center near San Antonio, causing minor injuries to a worker.

The Austin Police Department, the FBI and other federal agencies confirmed that the package center blast was related to four previous ones that killed two people and seriously injured four others.

That explosion occurred at a FedEx facility in Schertz, northeast of San Antonio and about 60 miles (95 kilometers) southwest of Austin.

Later in the morning, police sent a bomb squad to a FedEx facility outside the Austin airport to check on a suspicious package that was reported. Federal agencies and police later said that package had indeed contained an explosive that was successfully intercepted and that it, too, was tied to the other bombings.

Authorities also closed off an Austin-area FedEx store where they believe the bomb that exploded was shipped to the distribution center. They roped off a large area around the shopping center in the enclave of Sunset Valley and were collecting evidence, including surveillance camera footage.

U.S. Rep. Michael McCaul, a Republican from Austin who is chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, said that investigators have obtained surveillance videos that “could possibly” show a suspect, but are still poring through video.

“I hope his biggest mistake was going through FedEx,” McCaul, who has spoken to federal investigators and Austin police Chief Brian Manley, said of the bomber in a phone interview.

He added that the person responsible for the bombings had previously been “very sophisticated in going around surveillance cameras.”

“They’ve got a couple of videos that could possibly be the person but they’re not sure at this point,” McCaul said.

Before it exploded, the package had been sent from Austin and was addressed to a home in Austin, Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton said.

In a statement, FedEx officials said the same person responsible for sending the package also shipped a second parcel that has been secured and turned over to law enforcement. A company spokeswoman refused to say if that second package might have been linked to the one reported at the distribution center near the airport.

The Schertz blast came less than two days after a bombing wounded two men Sunday night in a quiet Austin neighborhood about 3 miles (5 kilometers) from the FedEx store. It was triggered by a nearly invisible tripwire, suggesting a “higher level of sophistication” than agents saw in three package bombs previously left on doorsteps, according to Fred Milanowski, the agent in charge of the Houston division of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

A criminologist at the University of Alabama said if a single perpetrator is behind the blasts, changing the means of delivery increases the bomber’s chance of getting caught.

“I think it would suggest that the bomber is trying to stay unpredictable,” Adam Lankford said. “But it also increases the likelihood that he would make a mistake.”

Authorities have not identified the two men who were hurt Sunday, saying only that they are in their 20s and white. But William Grote told The Associated Press that his grandson was one of them and that he had what appeared to be nails embedded in his knees.

In Washington, President Donald Trump said the assailant behind the bombing is “very sick.”

During an Oval Office meeting Tuesday with Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, the president said, “This is obviously a very sick individual or individuals,” and authorities are “working to get to the bottom of it.”

Despite bombing tactics that have now shifted, investigators have repeated prior warnings about not touching unexpected packages and urged people to be wary of any stray object left in public. Austin police say they have now responded to more than 1,200 reports of suspicious packages in a little more than a week — without finding anything dangerous.

MORE NEWS: Oil Chiefs Set To Testify At Landmark Congressional Hearing

(© Copyright 2018 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)