HOUSTON (AP) — A 38-year-old Houston man has been sentenced to 20 years in prison for looting a Walmart store closed during Hurricane Harvey last year.
Thomas Gamelin already was on parole last August for a drug conviction when police driving by the store saw a van that appeared to have been used to smash open a door at the Walmart and then saw Gamelin carrying a television.READ MORE: Suspects In Custody And Hospitalized Following Chase, Shootout In Johnson County
Surveillance video also showed him taking other electronics and tobacco products from the closed store.
A jury Wednesday convicted him of burglary and State District Judge Brad Hart sentenced him to 20 years.READ MORE: Don Huffines Says Border Security, Eliminating Property Tax Among Priorities In 2022 Primary Challenge To Gov. Abbott
Harris County Assistant District Attorney Joshua Raygor says Gamelin saw the worst natural disaster in Houston’s history as “the perfect opportunity to take advantage and try to make a profit.”
(© Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)MORE NEWS: North Texas School Districts Work To Vaccinate Students, Communities Against COVID-19